Once I was able to get into my Rasberry Pi (RPi) I started to think about how I was going to use it. I was pretty far along on my Ardunio controller and circuit schematics that I started to think that I would connect the serial cable to the Ardunio and build upon my existing design.
So I started to look at Craftbeerpi which seemed to have a pretty solid start on what I wanted. The more I looked it seemed to not have support to read from an Ardunio to the pre-made widgets. So I started scheming ideas to make my own program. For better or worse I was leaning towards a Python development. My brief time using Python wasn’t too great and I hated the tabbing format for block commands (if statements, loops, etc). However, after looking around it seems to be one of the more popular languages and something I should probably be more familiar with. From what I could see Django was about my best option as it looked like I would be able to get something up and running quickly. If I could follow instructions better I would have Django setup in about 20 mins, instead I spent a day fumbling with errors before I re-read the instructions.
With Django setup I started to wonder if I was making this too hard. So tonight I re-visited my I/O needs from my Arduino controller vs what RPi offers. Turns out RPi can fully support my needs and I don’t have to deal with interfacing with the Arduino a bit more. With that simplifcation, Craftbeerpi is now back to being my quickest way to getting a Brewstand Controller working. I think I’d still like to make my own program, but given that I tend not to have much free time (unless it is late at night) I seriously doubt that will ever happen once I get a controller working with Craftbeerpi. So now I just need to tweak the circuits a bit to adjust for 3.3V outputs and watching the currents.