Beer Name: Change
This is the second all grain beer that I’ve made. After the last one blew up in my face, literally, my goal for this beer was to pick a simple recipe and really work on producing the clearest beer that I could. During our summer trip to Denver I had several good Kolsches and decided that this is what I’d brew. The brew day went well and the final product is a really nice beer. Its refreshing to have and there is a good chance I do this one again, but maybe as a 10G batch next time since it goes down pretty easy.
My Brew Notes
The brew day went pretty well considering that last time I had stuck sparges and all-grain brewing was new. My mash temps wavered around more than I’d like and will need to refine this. I tried to use PH strips and iodine to check the mash, but have to say that I have no idea what I saw and will need to work on this more. I did boil off more than I thought and had to add 2 gallons of water back in. Though with that the gravity was on target. Also, my pump broke so chilling took way longer than it should. My plan to have a coarse bag around the metal screen in the boil kettle and a fine mesh bag on the output side of the hose really helped me to remove most of the trub prior to going into the fermentor. I cold crashed twice and used a secondary in addition to Irish moss in the boil and gelatin prior to bottling. I’m not sure which helped the most, but I have a good beer.
Recommendations for next time
- Try hitting and maintaining the mash temp better
- Plan for a higher boil off than most other people (try to turn down the burner a bit too)
- See if I can figure out idodine and PH strips.